Friday, September 14, 2012

Wine Gardens

Today was a recovery day from lots of traveling and not a lot of sleep, but I did take on the endeavor of going to the wine garden with AJ, Lili, Gezi, and John so they could film their video for their project on wine gardens. We made our way up to Klosternueburg again to visit a wine garden before we met with Kathy and some others to go to another wine garden and eat and drink with some of the Augustinian Canons. The wine garden was awesome, I love the idea that you can go to a place drink wine and eat really good food for a good price. It looks like someone’s house with a bunch of tables and it is like a deli service where you go up to the counter and order your food and then take it back to the table. I got some pork and blood sausage, which was a bold move. The pork was incredible, it was nice and fatty, they pour a little juice over it and it’s just heavenly. The blood sausage on the other hand was a little tough. I enjoy the flavor of blood sausage in the beginning, but the after taste is a little weird. Also, the texture isn’t really my cup of tea. So those factors coupled with the fact that everybody else around me is telling me how much they hate it and how gross it is just made it even harder. I only ate half of it, but what the hell, I did order it! After they finished filming for their video, we made our way to the second wine garden where we met Kathy and the others. This was the same deal as before with the deli style service. Of course, I ordered some more pork and loved it again. At this wine garden it was interesting because we were sitting with Ambrose, the Canon from Klosternueburg, and he was getting into debates with us about religion and sex and drugs and everything. At one point we asked him to ask us a question. So he asked us; “If you do not believe in God, then how can you be a (worthy? Legitimate?) person?” AJ responded that there are surroundings growing up that help us construct certain ideas and morals that help us lead worthy and fulfilling lives, and I agreed with him, but Ambrose wouldn’t even listen, and this is what pissed me off about this guy, I would try and get a word in and I get a hand in the face. It was so childish, I mean here is a guy who has spent the last 15 years or so of his life devoted to his religion and his God, and he’s debating with a bunch of history students who don’t focus their lives on opposing his views. It’s like the New York Yankees playing against your high schools baseball team, it no contest. His job is to win those arguments, and he doesn’t care what anyone has to say. I’m not saying he is a bad person, I just don’t respect his ways of arguing, he’s a smart guy, he doesn’t need to stoop to that level.

No comments:

Post a Comment